Locke's - Profile page | Comments

To Jack J

Hello Jack,
I'll start off by saying that you should probably contact your surgeon or Dr. Rahal's office for a proper answer to your question.
I shaved my head completely when I had the procedure done. This allowed me easy access to the donor and transplant area so that I could keep them clean.
I would not recommend shaving anything in the donor area as you shouldn't be touching it for the first 2 weeks. Also, I wouldn't apply Toppik (see later in message) for the first few weeks. I only started using it at the 3 month point when I had decent growth but needed it to look a bit more dense.
I was lucky in that I had 3 months off from school so I could stay at home most of the day and not have to go out into the public.

Toppik is the product you can use to make your hair look more dense. There are other products, I believe, but that's the one I use. I think it is made from charcoal and basically coats your skin/hair to make it look more dense.

by Locke
2/26/2012 6:21:55 PM

just had procedure week ago

should i shave down to a number 2   and let grow in   im scared as hell  to shave it down  i am scared about results and the time it takes to grow in   what is that product i can spray to make it look more dense or thick if i shave it down

by jack j
2/24/2012 10:49:39 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I took a big leap in doing this procedure and I'm very happy the results worked out. It seems that Dr. Rahal's patients usually have very, very good results.
 Best of luck to you with the decisions you make. Just make sure it is a smart one. Don't rush into anything. Actually, just make sure you do it with Dr. Rahal :p or Hasson and Wong, they're pretty good as well.

by Locke
2/24/2012 1:12:29 PM

Nice Hair

Love it ! Us balding brothers are cheering for you right now. Now go meet some women and enjoy your life. till next time, take care.

by BigRed
2/23/2012 12:50:53 PM

congratulations

I am about two months behind you so I am very interested in seeing your progress. I also had over 3000 grafts and the area to be covered is almost identical. Mine was about 14 (hairline) by 7cm (depth).

by nutstoo
11/25/2011 1:27:23 PM

Hair Looks Great!

Thanks for keeping us posted. Nice haircut!

10/30/2011 3:27:50 AM

Scar

How do you feel about the scar now that you are 4 months down the road? Was the recovery brutal?

--Response--

The recovery was alright. There is pain and swelling for the first 5 days after surgery. The first night of sleep is very uncomfortable because you need to sleep in a chair at 45 degrees.

The first 2 weeks of applying vitamin E to the scar as well as the recipient area twice a day is annoying but very necessary. You also need to spray the recipient area every 3 hours to keep it moist. This can be tedious but is a price worth paying.

The next 3 months the scar is still visible until hair grows in and the recipient area is still pink so you'll probably want to keep it hidden. This means wearing a hat more than a person normally would. This can be socially awkward because people will ask you why you're wearing a hat so much but I did it for a few weeks when I returned to school and now life is back to normal.

Ideally, I'd like to have no scar on the back of my head but Dr. Rahal recommended FUT for the size of my session and I stand by that recommendation. I knew what I was getting into. I am incredibly happy with the results thus far and I'd certainly do it again. I'd much rather have a concealed scar on my head than put up with the depression, social anxiety, and lack of confidence I had only a few months ago when my hair looked a lot worse.

With FUE becoming better and better, people won't need the scars in the future but at the present, it was the best that could be done for me so I went for it.

For my future hair transplants I will most likely have FUE done because the recovery time is much less and dealing with the healing process of the scar wasn't very pleasant.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

by ParraPhil
10/14/2011 7:47:19 AM

no toppik

Hey

I see you are having a good progress. But please dont post the pics of your hair with toppik, it could mislead others. Thanks

by rahal patient
10/14/2011 12:52:17 AM

Looks great! Keep keeping us updated please!

Looks great! Keep us updated please! I think this will look great in a couple of months!

by T